What are the best ways to preserve your guns?
Dehumidifiers are the perfect accessory for a gun safe. They regulate a safes internal humidity levels so your firearms will retain their cosmetic integrity and optimal functionality.
Failing to control your gun safe’s humidity can result in rust or corrosion – which completely defeats the purpose of storing them to begin with.
We’ve compiled a list of handpicked recommendations from our team of experts to help you separate the wheat from the chaff – and hopefully give you a little education along the way.
Quick List: The Best Gun Safe Dehumidifiers:
- Best Electric Dehumidifier: Liberty Safe Dehumidifier
- Best Desiccant Dehumidifier: Lockdown Silica Gel Can
- Best Large Safe Dehumidifier: Lockdown Dehumidifier Rod
- Best Mini Dehumidifier: Ezpur Renewable Mini Dehumidifier
- Also Great: Stack-on Spad-1500 Rechargeable Cordless Dehumidifier
- Dehumidifiers heat to a surface temperature of around 100-120 degrees F. The heat creates a natural...
- This increases the temperature of the air inside to several degrees above the ambient outside...
- The safe dehumidifier rod can be mounted against a wall as well. Lowering the humidity is a slow...
What we liked:
- Protection against rust and mildew
- Multiple size options 12″ or 18″
- Simple installation with the two snap-on legs
- Easily plugs into any electrical outlet
What we didn't:
- Only two sizes to choose from
- The 18″ still too small for large safes
- Needs electricity to operate
Our testers awarded the Liberty Safe Dehumidifier the top choice for gun owners looking for a dehumidifier due to the device’s overall effectiveness.
Once the Liberty Safe Dehumidifier Rod is at 100-120 degrees Fahrenheit, the dehumidifier produces natural convection that evenly disperses warm, dry air over consistent 24-hour periods.
It’s this thorough, consistent production of a dry environment that makes the Liberty Safe Dehumidifier surprisingly effective.
Our experts found that the Liberty Safe Dehumidifier was convenient with a simple wall outlet plug and the optional electrical outlet kit offered through the Liberty gives you back some outlet space.
Best Desiccant Dehumidifier:
- DIMENSIONS: 4.5 Diameter x 6.5 inches H
- SPECS: 40G Pack – Small handgun vaults and gun cases, 450G Bag - up to 33 cubic feet, 750G Vented...
- EASE OF USE: Crystals change color once fully saturated and can be easily recharged in oven
What we liked:
- Absorbs moisture via a vault design
- Doesn’t require constant power connection
- Durable and minimalistic in its design
What we didn't:
- One year warranty as opposed to a lifetime warranty
- Recharge requirement
The best desiccant dehumidifier in our opinion is the Lockdown Silica Gel Can.
Part of what makes the Lockdown Silica Gel Can an excellent product is its simplicity. Gun safe owners looking to purchase a dehumidifier might hesitate when it comes to a silica gel dehumidifier due to the maintenance – or the idea of trusting their firearm collection to something as simple as a silica gel canister.
The good news is the Lockdown makes it easy to see when you need to recharge it. Crystals within the device will change color when it’s time to renew the canister, and recharging the device is as simple as placing the gel can into the oven to reset saturation levels.
When it comes to a reliable and convenient gun safe dehumidifier, the Lockdown Silica Gel Can is hard to beat.
By absorbing moisture from the safe’s enclosed space, the Lockdown fights mildew, condensation, & rust around the clock.
The Lockdown is available small, medium, and large sizes, which means you have an option if you own a smaller safe. Size and range specs for the Lockdown Silica Gel Can are:
- 1.5” x 6” x “2
- 2-pound weight
- 50 cubic feet efficiency
The multiple dehumidifier sizes enable gun safe owners to find the right fit for there needs.
Best Mini Dehumidifier:
- MOISTURE ABSORBER: Silica gel crystal beads efficiently absorb damp and moisture from the air. Ideal...
- RENEWABLE: The dehumidifier can be renewed by plugging in for 12~15 hours (change the indicator...
- ZERO NOISE: Totally different from other kinds, this one requires no power when dehumidifying, it is...
What we liked:
- Convenient size
- Exceptional moisture-absorbent qualities
- Straightforward charging
- Safety conscious design
- Quick installation
- Easy to read maintenance warnings
- Cordless operation
What we didn't:
- Large safes will require multiple devices
- Requires a recharge every 1-3 weeks
- Recharge takes over 12 hours
Our team of experts love mini dehumidifiers for their flexibility & the fact many gun owners use smaller safes that hold just a few firearms and don’t need much in the way of dehumidification.
Plus, mini dehumidifiers significantly are simple to use and install, and the idea of less being more proves true with the Ezpur Renewable Mini Dehumidifier.
No gun owner wants inconsistent performance from their dehumidifier – but it’s also important that you can rely on it without the need to service it too frequently.
You’ll know when to charge the device when the beads change color from green to orange, and recharging can be done in 12-15 hours with a simple wall plug.
The Ezpur Mini is also silent (nobody wants a noisy dehumidifier.) It’s convenient size and flame-retardant design were solid perks that sold our team of experts on this little gem of a dehumidifier. Mini dehumidifiers are an evolving technology – and similar models such as the Eva Dry Mini can dehumidify spaces up to 333 cubic feet.
While mini desiccant dehumidifiers may be small – they get the job done in big ways.
- Can convert areas to shelving for storing ammo, pistols or other items
- 3-point locking system with key coded cylinder lock
- Includes adjustable barrel rests that are extended to accommodate the added depth needed to store...
What we liked:
- Easy to use and recharge
- Standard electrical outlet design
- Charge lifespan of up to 6 weeks
What we didn't:
- Can get hot to the touch
- Takes some time to recharge
- Somewhat pricey compared to other options
Some people prefer not to drill holes in their safe. While electric gun safe dehumidifiers tend to be slightly more popular than the desiccant variety, we thought it important to highlight another reliable option.
The Stack-on Spad-1500 Rechargeable Cordless Dehumidifier pairs convenient size with a cordless design, so you can avoid drilling onto your safe.
In addition, you get:
- Rechargeable for reliable performance
- Dry-wet level monitoring display
- No need for batteries
- Low maintenance requirements for a desiccant model
- Easy installation
Stack-on Spad-1500‘s can efficiently remove moisture from a safe’s enclosed space for up to 4-6 weeks, and recharging the Stack-on Spad-1500 is simple. Plug the device into your everyday outlet for easy plug-and-go powering.
Overnight charging is recommended as the device takes between 8-10 hours to charge, but once the Spad-1500 is charged the dehumidifier can remove moisture from up to 100 cubic feet of space.
What we liked:
- Consistent power
- Easy set-up and installation
- Two size options in 12″ or 18″
- Protection against rust and moisture
- Simple connection
What we didn't:
- Simple bracket design doesn’t offer a ton of support
- Can get hot
- Low quality plug
Obviously, not everyone owns a small safe. And with large gun safes, it’s even more important to use a reliable dehumidifier, as they hold more firearms and have more surface area on which to develop condensation.
As previously stated – electric gun safe dehumidifiers tend to be slightly more popular an effective than desiccant models, which is even more true the larger the safe.
One of the perks of electric dehumidifiers is their consistent performance due to the fact you don’t need to recharge the device. That said, you’ll probably need to drill a hole in your safe as a means of threading the power cable, which can be a downside for some.
Electric dehumidifiers therefor require more effort when it comes to installation than their desiccant counterparts. Our crew of experts noted that it’s crucial to identify models of electric dehumidifiers that are easy to install so you don’t take on more work than necessary. Nobody wants to re-engineer their safe’s internals to run a wire or two.
If you’re putting in the work of drilling holes through a personal safe, you might find that the Lockdown Dehumidifier Rod is a low maintenance option when it comes to installation due to:
- A useful quick plug attachment
- Included mounting brackets for quick set-up
With a dehumidifier range of up to 100 cubic feet, the Lockdown Dehumidifier Rod offers excellent value compared to other Lockdown models such as the GoldenRod Original Dehumidifier.
Choosing the Best Gun Safe Dehumidifier
It’s essential to have an understanding of how dehumidifiers work and the different varieties and attributes that help gun safe dehumidifiers protect your guns.
Gun Safe Dehumidifier Varieties and Attributes
Two main types of gun safe dehumidifiers remain popular with consumers:
- Desiccant dehumidifiers
- Electric dehumidifiers
Desiccant dehumidifiers don’t require an electrical outlet, which negates the need to drill holes in a safe. If properly maintained, desiccant dehumidifiers can have a multi-month lifespan without much effort.
While electric dehumidifiers may require you to drill holes in a safe for wires or cables, electric dehumidifiers provide consistent performance without much maintenance.
So, which variety of gun safe dehumidifiers are better?
Gun Safe Dehumidifier Use
Whether you choose a desiccant or an electric dehumidifier, both devices perform the same task of absorbing moisture within the safe’s enclosed space.
The type of dehumidifier design you select comes down to personal preference.
As a heads up:
Most desiccant dehumidifiers can run efficiently for a month before the need for reactivation. Many models of desiccant dehumidifiers contain beads that alert for the need to be changed or recharged via a change in color.
If you’re a gun safe owner, purchasing a dehumidifier to regulate the moisture levels within your safe is always a good idea. If you’re looking to keep your safe dry, you can’t go wrong with selecting one of the five gun safe dehumidifiers our experts recommend.
When we broke down how to select the best gun dehumidifier, there was an emphasis on:
- Choosing between electric and desiccant models
- How to prepare for an electric dehumidifier
- The maintenance & installation effort involved
While the Liberty Safe Dehumidifier shares similar perks that other products on our list contain, such as easy set-up, reliability, and multiple size options, what separates this dehumidifier from the rest of the competition is the precision in its design.
The Liberty Safe Dehumidifier only produces enough heat to remove moisture from your gun safe’s enclosed space. It doesn’t actually get hot to the touch.
Other models, like the Stack-on Spad-1500 Rechargeable Cordless Dehumidifier were hot to the touch during team testing.
With the Liberty Safe Dehumidifier, you’ll receive optimal protection against moisture within your gun safe at an affordable price and with little to no maintenance.
The Latest Gun Safe Reviews
What are the best ammo safes? After researching every variety of ammo safe from the major manufacturers and Amazon, testing more than a dozen, including
What are the best pistol safes? Storing handguns in a pistol safe is a best practice for any gun owner who owns a handgun, and
What are the best hidden gun shelves? As gun owners, we have to strike a balance between making sure our firearms are both inaccessible to
What’s the best biometric gun safe? A biometric gun safe is often a logical choice for keeping your firearms secure, thanks to the technology that
What should you do about gun security when you’re on the move? Proper gun safety is a cornerstone of responsible gun ownership. But sometimes, a