Conceal your firearms in plain sight
We’re big on gun safety around here, and for some folks storing a firearm also means concealing it.
Many people don’t want just firearm storage – they want to hide their guns – often in everyday-looking products or in plain sight.
We took a look at a wide variety of hidden gun storage options – furniture, accessories, and the like – and put a few to the test, testing for handguns, mag storage, loose ammo and ease of use, and have compiled our recommendations below across as many categories that are practical for most people.
We didn’t get into large-scale customization – things like chairs, bed modifications, or things like that as the concealed options are pretty limited and come with a much higher price tag than most people will want to spend for a gun concealment solution.
The one downside to these concealment products is they often don’t have great safety features – like locks or fire protection – so they work best for concealing quick-access firearms either in a home without children or in a place that kids aren’t going to get into.
Quick List: The Best Hidden Gun Storage Options:
- Best Wall Shelf: American Classics Concealment Shelf
- Best Small Shelf: CASTLECREEK Gun Concealment Wall Shelf
- Best Concealment Clock: Peace Keeper Concealment Clock
- Most Stylish Option: Covobox 2.0 Hidden Book Box
- Best Under Bed Storage: Hornady RAPiD Gunlocker
- Best Bookcase: CASTLECREEK Gun Concealment Bookcase
- Best End Table: Kennedy End Table with Concealed Drawer
- Best Wall Safe: Viking Security Safe VS-52BLX
- Best Book Storage: Bookmods Gun Storage Books
Best Wall Shelf:
- Includes one decorative wall shelve with pull out concealed gun compartment and one without the gun...
- Solid wood and wood veneers
- Fine furniture quality medium brown walnut finish.
- Measurements: 13.75 x 17 x 5 inches
- Weight: 26 pounds
The American Furniture Classics Concealment Shelf is the best option if you’re looking for a wall-mountable shelf concealment solution. There’s no locking system but for the price you get a pair of shelves – one non-concealment shelf and one with a pull-out hidden compartment – so the fact you have a pair makes decoration easier and improves the concealment factor.
The one criticism we have is that the drawer – while study and smooth operating – isn’t 100% hidden from view. Looking at the drawer from the side you can see the seam, which kind of defeats the purpose of the product.
That said, the drawer gap is not particularly pronounced, and you do have to know to look for it to see it. Plus considering break-ins mostly occur in the evenings a burglar is going to be dealing with darkness, making a seam on a pull-out shelf more than likely invisible to the invader.
One thing to note – this shelf is not light at 26lbs – almost as heavy as a smaller gun safe – so be sure you have a place you can mount the concealment shelf to something sturdy and secure – like a stud or door/window frame.
- Easily concealed
- Comes with 2 shelves – one standard & one concealment
- Looks good
- Well made
- Shelf seam is visible from the side
- Heavy for a standalone shelf
Best Small Concealment Shelf:
- Sometimes the best place to hide your firearms is in plain sight.
- What we liked most about this ordinary-looking wall shelf is the fact it’s both utilitarian
- You can literally hang keys, coats, or hats on this little shelf all while easily concealing a full-sized handgun and extra magazines in the hidden compartment.
- Measurements: 28 x 5 x 10.5 inches
- Weight: 14 pounds
Sometimes the best place to hide your firearms is in plain sight. What we liked most about this ordinary-looking wall shelf is the fact it’s both utilitarian – you can literally hang keys, coats, or hats on this little shelf all while easily concealing a full-sized handgun and extra magazines in the hidden compartment.
We all have images of thieves rifling through drawers or picking up small safes and walking away with them, but this little shelf is so inconspicuous that any would-be burglar would walk right past it.
Plus, it’s small enough that you can mount it in a bedroom or hallway location that’s easy to get to in a moment’s notice – all while concealing your personal protection piece.
Plus – while it’s MDF and not real solid wood – the dark cherry finish doesn’t look bad at all.
The chain is pretty flimsy though, so you have to open the door carefully or you’re likely to break it off its mounts. Also, the magnetic lock isn’t premium either.
Some people have crafted solutions for better chain mounts and magnets to get around the shortcomings of the piece, but for an easy and relatively attractive concealment shelf, it’s a decent concealed option.
- Surprising amount of storage capacity
- Solidly heavy
- The keyed lock is consistent and kid-safe
- Keyed entry only means no quick access
- Not UL rated for fire or water
Best Concealment Clock:
- Sometimes you’re less interested in buying a piece of furniture or mounting a wall clock
- If you need hidden gun storage that’s both portable and convenient the Peace Keeper Concealment Clock is both of those things.
- It’s a working clock that looks good in a home office or as a piece of decor.
- Measurements: 6.2 x 9.5 x 13.2 inches
- Weight: 7 pounds
Sometimes you’re less interested in buying a piece of furniture or mounting a wall clock – and you need hidden gun storage that’s both portable and convenient. The Peace Keeper Concealment Clock is both of those things – plus it’s a working clock that looks good in a home office or as a piece of decor.
In addition to the style points this concealment clock offers some degree of security with a lock on the back of the unit and front magnetic lock that works surprisingly well.
Given that this is a clock and not a piece of furniture the hidden compartment storage is probably best for standard pistols in the 4”-9” length range.
We tested with a Ruger Security 9 and a Glock G20 (10MM pistol) and both fit well, but if you’re looking to store a 6” barrel Taurus Judge it’s probably not going to work.
Another plus is it’s one of the less expensive options on this list, so if you’re comfortable with the dimensions and want some desk-friendly hidden gun storage this might just fit the bill.
- Good concealment
- Fast, quick access
- Smaller than other options
- Style may not be for everyone
- Not a premium product
Most Stylish Option:
- Sometimes the simplest option is best
- If you’re looking for a concealment option that will integrate seamlessly with your existing interior design and spruce up a bookshelf we really like the Covobox 2.0 hidden storage unit.
- Measurements: Various (3” – 30”)
- Weight: Various – depends on length
Sometimes the simplest option is best, and if you’re looking for a concealment option that will integrate seamlessly with your existing interior design and spruce up a bookshelf we really like the Covobox 2.0 hidden storage unit.
Each unit is made from real books that are selected to create a particular look, then the books are cut and repurposed to create the look of the Covobox. It’s a really unique product.
You can select a size and color (these can get pretty pricey – an 11” black option is $200 – and choosing a particular color adds more from there) but if you’re looking for a stylish concealment solution and need to maintain a cohesive color palette the Covobox is a unique option that will accommodate any specification or color requirement.
As with most faux book concealment options, there are no security features, hidden compartment, or locking system. This is an open-back box that’s hidden in plain sight – but the little touches like the variety in book heights and the fact the tops of the books go all the way to the rear of the unit make it really effective for concealing a firearm.
It’s also great for concealing other unsightly things like a router or surge protector. They’re also available in a horizontal option.
- Easy to use
- Not a safe
- Light enough to be carried off
- No quick access capabilities
Best Under Bed Gun Storage:
- HEAVY-DUTY, TAMPER PROOF CONSTRUCTION - efficient gun storage for tactical length rifles or shot...
- TOUCH-FREE ENTRY RFID SAFE - the patented RFID technology provides unmatched security from...
- CERTIFIED CHILD-RESISTANT - every Hornady security rapid gun safe exceeds ASTM International safety...
- Exterior: 42” x 15.25” x 6.75”
- Interior: 40.5″ x 13.5″ x 5.5″
- Weight: 50 pounds
If you want to conceal long guns or shotgun under your bed and ensure quick access the Hornady RAPiD Gunlocker is a great option.
The Hornady offers touch-free entry with an RFID wristband, key fob, or sticker that prompts the locker to pop open instantly via the spring-assisted opening. It also has a keypad entry which can be programmed with a 4-6 digit entry code.
The aspects we really liked about this when it comes to firearm concealment is the fact it offers proper security features – they claim it exceeds ASTM International safety standards in all kinds of areas, including child and pry resistance, lock strength, drop/pick/saw testing and hinge attacks. It’s really engineered like a gun safe – and it will also work as an RV or truck gunlocker provided you have space.
It’s not silent (there’s an audible sound when unlocking and opening the unit) nor impossible to see depending on how you store it – when plugged into an A/C power source the keypad will stay lit. Not deal-breakers but worth noting if you need something that’s James Bond-level concealable.
If safety is your top priority when it comes to hidden gun storage and you have space for a long gun cabinet under your bed, the Hornady is a great option.
- Quick RFID access
- Built well
- Offers true safety features
- Works with long and hand guns
- No installation required
- Not a safe
- Limited storage space
- Not silent
- Keypad lights up when plugged in
Best Concealment Bookcase:
- The Castlecreek gun concealment bookcase is one of the more effective concealed options we tested.
- Thieves may look at the items on the shelf - but even the most determined burglar is not going to check the actual shelf of a bookcase.
- Measurements: 19″ x 15.75″ x 5.25″
- Weight: 2 pounds
- UL fireproof rating: None
The Castlecreek gun concealment bookcase is one of the more effective concealed options we tested. Thieves may look at the items on the shelf – but even the most determined burglar is not going to check the actual shelf of a bookcase.
What makes this particular bookcase effective is that the shelf that acts as the concealed compartment looks exactly like the other shelves – making it nearly impossible to locate.
Considering it’s a full-fledged piece of gun concealment furniture it blends in with other household items and is difficult to spot even if you have owned one yourself.
The material isn’t real solid wood – it’s MDF – but the hinges on the slide-out drawer operates smoothly and the felt lining protects your firearm from sliding around when you open it.
It’s certainly not a safe – and it offers no safety features – but for a decently priced piece of concealment furniture this bookcase will get the job done.
- Effective concealment
- No installation needed
- Not a proper safe
- MDF isn’t particularly durable
- May not match existing home decor
Best Concealment End Table:
- Concealed drop down-then-out compartment enables you to securely conceal valuables and more.
- Felt-lined drawer protects against scratches.
- Easy access Lock design provides instant access when needed.
The Kennedy End Table is another gun concealment furniture piece that offers a single pull-out drawer and makes concealing handguns straightforward.
End tables – like coffee tables – tend to be used in the living room, so concealing a gun in the Kennedy gives you access in a central location. The hidden compartment drawer measures 8” x 13″ and is 2.25″ tall – big enough to conceal a handgun and multiple magazines as well as a flashlight or other items.
The compartment opens via a small access latch and hangs down from the underside of the unit. Another plus is the price – these generally run under $100.
- Easy, quick access
- Fantastic concealment
- Blends in well with other furniture
- No installation needed
- Tedious assembly
- Drawer can only accommodate 5 lbs
Best Gun Wall Safe:
- HIGHTLY SECURE 19” x 14” x 4” BIOMETRIC FINGERPRINT SAFE FITS BETWEEN STUDS IN THE WALL -...
- FAST ACCESS PERSONAL SAFE FOR HOME & OFFICE DEFENCE AND PROTECTION – Upgraded 500 DPI Optical...
- EASY TO SET UP & SIMPLE TO USE - Scan & Save up to 32 Fingerprints for Multiple People or 1 PIN...
- Measurements: 19” x 14” x 4”
- Weight: 37 pounds
- UL fireproof rating: None
If you’re interested in concealing your ammo & smaller firearms with an actual wall-mounted safe, we recommend the Viking Security Safe VS-52BLX. It’s one of the best hidden gun safes and designed to fit snugly between wall studs, and offers a biometric scanner for quick access to its contents. It also offers a digital keypad and physical key with multiple entry mechanisms.
We also appreciated the range of features this safe offered for the price – an interior LED light, 3 separate shelves and 4 compartments, a carpeted interior to prevent dings, and key hooks on the door – a natural spot for backup keys.
It doesn’t fit 100% flush to the wall, bit the small bulge from the fingerprint reader is more than worth the speed of entry and additional room for storage.
- Easy to install
- Deep enough for effective storage
- Quick access biometric sensor
- Interior LED light
- Some reports of burning through batteries
- Can experience QC issues
- Packaging may be insufficient to prevent dings in shipment
Each of these hidden gun storage options best met the requirements of the role they were designed for and met the criteria for any storage option we’d recommend if concealment is the top priority.
There are quite a few concealed options in this category, but we hope this article steers you in the right direction. If you have any questions or feedback please drop us a line.
What are the best ways to preserve your guns? Dehumidifiers are the perfect accessory for a gun safe. They regulate a safes internal humidity levels
If you’re in a hurry or just want to know what we think is the best gun safe under $500 on the market today, we
Conceal your firearms in plain sight We’re big on gun safety around here, and for some folks storing a firearm also means concealing it. Many
What’s the best way to store your ammo? After researching every variety of ammo safe from the major manufacturers and Amazon, testing more than a
What are the best bedside gun safes? A gun safe certainly isn’t the best place for your wife’s jewelry, stamp collection, or fine art pieces
If you’re in a hurry or just want to know what we recommend, our top handgun safe pick is the Vaultek VT20i Biometric Handgun Safe